Sunday, December 18, 2011

All the Pretty Horses thru p. 135- Jake

What transpired in Texas to make John Grady Cole venture off into Mexico is not known, but I don't think that it was a crime. It is impossible to know what the trigger was, but I think that something his father did disgraced the family and being the heir to that name the young man became undesirable? Didn't he say at one point that in one sitting he won $26k. That is no small pot. I propose that his father got into some gambling debts, and his grandfather settled them; in doing so lost all of what could be profitable on the ranch. Additionally, in the first few pages the narrator points out that the last Cole died with the Grandfather. Not having an abbundance of male offspring, I unknowingly assume, would decrease a ranch's chances of success.This doesn't help me to understand why his mother wont entertain the idea of him running the ranch. When the two boys decide to break the horeses and La Purisima we clearly find out that he is more than capable and so is Rawlins.
In addition to the other many relationship questions I have about John Grady Cole, I am trouble in particular with the one regarding his mother. She seems to have no interest in the boy at all. She lets Luisa raise him while she is off acting and entertaining gentlemen callers. His father is clearly a delinquent, yet she doesn't appear to even attempt to take him along. Did either of you find it odd that when he went down to see her that he didn't even speak to her? I mean, sure, he went to the hotel, but seriously?
I would again like to take the opportunity to apologize for thinking that Rawlins was weak. He has proved himself to be a rock. I think that as far as refering to himself as 'dad' is only turning a phrase, I don't think that he is in anyway a father type to JGC. In fact I think that JGC is some kind of man child. You know, the type of kid that you went to high school with, who while you were still playing wiffle ball and worrying about chemistry tests he was learning about how the word really works. Anyway, back to Rawlins, why he is in this  is not clear. It seems that Rawlins comes from a decent background, after all he does have his own horse. I think the only logical choice for Mexico is that a man hunt will fall short at the border and thus enabling the boys to have a true adventure.
Blevins, I thought this kid was trouble from the start. He is good shot with the pistol, but I would not be surprised if it came out later that it was dumb luck that he hit the billfold dead center. As they get drunk on the cider he turns into a bit of a mental patient. I can't say that I was sad to see he chased away by the people he tries to get his horse back from, and I think that it was a smart choice to not go looking for him. Do you think that we will see him again?
This is draggin on a bit more than I had intended and would like to talk about the girl and the kind of trouble she poses. Especially after the boys broke the dozen plus horses in 4 days, thus endearing themselves to Don Hector. So I pose to the two of you what do you think will come of John Grady Cole's crush on the girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment