Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay through p. 421- Matt


 I finished up the novel this morning, but I will confine my post to a small section after Ryan’s last post.
As Ryan and others suspected, there was a little more left in the Ebling sub-plot.  While his dealings with Joe are done, in a butterfly effect sort of way, it was these dealings that send law enforcement to the New Jersey beach house to, as it is put, “flush a fairy nest,” and have dire consequences for Sammy. 
On a related historical note, I have never heard of this type of persecution before, but I assume it has a basis in fact.  I never really thought about it, but I guess had no idea that homosexuality was actively targeted by law enforcement.  I am happy that is no longer the case, and while certainly the struggle for gay rights is not over, I am happy to know it has come quite far.  Having law enforcement trying to snuff out gay people persecute them is a nasty, unsavory business that I am happy to not have run across.
The fortunes of Sammy and Joe take a dramatic downturn in the space of few pages.  Sammy abandons his plan to move to Los Angeles, and with it, his hopes for romantic contentment.  Joe’s fervent aspiration, to which he dedicated himself fully, of delivering his family to safety and comfort is dashed when his brother is killed during his transit to America.
Until now, we have seen repeated victories and successes for both Sammy and Joe, but in the last few pages, all of there dreams have been reduced to rubble.  Now we will see what they manage to rebuild.
Until Next Time-
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment