Tuesday, January 3, 2012

On the Selection of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay- Matt


Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is a book I have made my way to in the aisles of bookstores on more than one occasion, and for one reason or another, always put it back on the shelf. 
I took a look at it the first time because of the Pulitzer Prize and the good buzz surrounding it.  Somebody gave me The Yiddish Policeman's Union as a gift, and for one reason or another, I figured I would read Kavalier and Clay first.  As it turns out, I have still not read either.
I again made my way to Michael Chabon after watching and loving the movie Wonderboys and learning that it was based on a book of his.  While I was not in the mood to read Wonderboys, having just seen the movie, I took another look at The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.
I think I put it back once because I was not in mood for a historical novel; I was looking for something present day.  I put it back another time because it seemed the setting was New York and Europe, and I prefer locales a little wilder, and another time because comic books seemed be involved and I am not much of a comic book guy.  In the past though, when, for one reason or another, I read something that I normally would put back on the shelf, I often enjoy it and a few are among my favorite books.  I am glad Jake has finally forced my hand into reading this one.
As a book that has been on my radar for a number of years, I am looking forward to it, but as a book that I have put back on the shelf a number of times, I have reasonable expectations.  It is possible that McCarthy being compared to McMurtry before I ever flipped a page may have doomed him from the start.
I am going to dive in.
Until Next Time- Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment