Monday, February 6, 2012

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay in its entirety- Matt


Unfortunately life has gotten in the way a little bit and there has been a gap in my reading and posting.  I find myself usually unable to put down a book I am engrossed in, and it is life that takes a backseat until I am finished, and there was no exception when it came to this novel.  I finished it a while ago and have gone some time without posting. I enjoyed it very much, and agree with all of Ryan’s final comments.
Although it has been a while since I put the book down, I will touch on one thing that particularly resonates with me.
When Joe gets sent to the Antarctic, it certainly seemed to be a bizarre, and perhaps anti-climactic turn of events.  I did not know what to expect, but I quickly grew to love it.  Joe’s desire and need for revenge drove him to enlist in the first place, and it was with revenge in mind that he ended up being sent to the bleak and lonely Antarctic.  He quickly finds himself even more alone with the deaths of all his companions, save the pilot and the dog Oyster.  Chabon is conveying the theme, with the most basic of symbolism, that revenge is cold and lonely.  While I think subtlety has a place in literature, I that themes and symbols are often too obscure, and I enjoy being treated to some very obvious symbolism from time to time, and I believe Chabon has done that beautifully.  I had mixed thoughts about it at first but upon more reflection I think the slaying of Oyster is an excellent statement on how destructive revenge can be.  Joe stands nonchalantly by while by while his friend and companion is killed, all in the name of revenge.
I recommend the book to anybody, and if you have a fondness for comic books, I would image this book would become an instant favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment