Saturday, February 25, 2012

City of God p. 70 - Jake

It was a rough start, after reading the first 10 pages or so I thought about reading a review online and passing it for my own. The repeated references to complicated physics, not my favorite subject, was beginning to wear on me. I am glad I pushed past it. The switching between the detective, the Priest and the female Rabbi area a bit much at first, this is not a book to read before going to bed. It requires a slightly more active brain. After 70 pages each of the three main characters have been developed enough to make them believable, and I can say that I am no longer interested in getting the Reader’s Digest condensed version of this novel. At this point the ‘Heist’, has not fully revealed it self; yes, a cross has been stolen and found. It seems that the theft of the cross had intent, that is to say that it had to be that cross from that church. Why? To be discovered.
I had mentioned earlier that I do not really like the detective genre, however I do enjoyed the fatally flawed characters that a detective novel invites. E.L. Doctorow’s detective is flawed just so; I want to hate him for being the adulterer, yet I secretly hope he succeeds, then again I hate him for his detached ruthlessness in attempting to rewire this woman’s life. It is like watching a butterfly get tangled in a spider’s web. I would like to make it clear, I am not cheering this detective on, but I am enjoying his twisted story.
What’s the deal with Pem? Is he just a pleasantly chubby Priest who is questioning his faith? Or has he done something or seen something that is making him a target. I hope to find out more soon. 
Sarah B, at this point we know more of her background, not of her present¸ I think she will be a driving force in this investigation. Her husband, I do not expect to be of much use.
I look forward to the next 70 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment