Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Lighthouse at the End of the World P. 158 Jake

I reccomended this boat based on a list from some mens magazine as one of the top 100 books for men. After reading approximately half of the book, I am not sure why it has made the top 100 list. That is not to say that I am bored, in fact I am enjoying the book very much. I am enjoying the simple language and the realness of the situation created. The circumstances may be over a century old, but the reality of piracy and terrorism are still a contemporary concern. The Lighthouse at the End of the World is a classic tale of good versus evil; and to that extent Verne has created an excellent arena for the battle to take place.
Vasquez, what a great man, he is a strong old salt, level headed and well liked, at least as far as we can tell. He was chosen from thousands of applicants to be the lead watcher for first three month hitch on the new lighthouse. Vasquez also had enough pull to get the two other men selected. All that being said, I feel that he is a little under-developed. I wonder if Jules Verne were to have lived longer would he have developed the characters a little more? The dreaded pirate Kongre seems to be just your run of the mill crafty pirate. The two main human characters are seemingly equal opposites. The only character that has been truly developed here is the island and the elements. I think that the detailed descriptions of Staten Island create the feeling of despair and aloneness that put me squarely in Vasquez's corner. At this point I have just discovered Davis and look forward to reading about he and Vasquez as they attempt to thwart the departure of the Maule.
I appreciate the fact that Verne has not cartoonized, not sure if that is an actual term, but I think you get the point. Both Vasquez and Kongre seem very human and the band of pirates are not all nincompoops. At this point Vasquez does not seem to have some super powers either. I do find it rather convenient Vasquez happens to speak English, not completely inconcievable, but fortunate. Verne could have just as easily had a Spanish ship crash the shores of Staten Island.
I hope you are all enjoying the story as much as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment