Saturday, April 14, 2012

Tourist Season, through the end

In response to Jake's question: Is Hiaasen Keyes? I would say no. Obviously, this novel strays fairly far from any actual events, and I would say that no one character is based entirely on any one real person. However, I would theorize that Hiaasen would more closely align himself with Wiley. I think that Wiley does some of the things that Hiaasen wishes he could do, but can't.
Wiley, like Hiaasen, is a home grown Florida native. Jake has seen the development of Maine, and I have seen the development of Nantucket, and that is but a taste of what Hiaasen has seen Florida. He has had to endure Florida being bulldozed, buried and paved for decades.
Wiley, like Hiaasen, is a fabulous and talented columnist. Both seem well cut out for the newpaper business, whereas the more sensitive Keyes is not.
Certainly, I would say that Hiaasen probably gave a little of himself to both characters, Wiley and Keyes, but I think the closer alignment is with Wiley. Whereas Hiaasen stops short of feeding tourists to crocodiles, I would guess the idea has appealled to him from time to time. While Wiley is free to commit murder and mayhem to save Florida, Hiaasen only has his writing, and he makes a compelling statement.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Matt, I forgot about Hiaasen's time as an actual journalist. Thank you for clarifying.
    Jake

    ReplyDelete