Saturday, March 10, 2012

City of God End -Jake

I have finally, with much effort and a few skipped pages finished what is possibly the worst book published in 2001. I am not sure what it was really about. I have to agree with Matt that good writing is clear, this cloudy drivel, focusing only slightly on Pem and Sarah, the Holocaust, Cinema, a washed up writer? Has close to no point. I am truly disappointed that the only information about the heist was a cross was stolen and found, its only importance is that it was a vehicle to loosely spark a fire to tell multiple unrelated stories. In my opinion, each of these stories would have made a fine novel in its own right, some of which I may have chose to read.
Some final thoughts. If anyone has stumbled upon this blog and has ignored our advice to put this waste of paper back on the shelf. Who is the Ex-times guy? Everett? Why the Mid- blah blah Jazz thing? Who is that? Why are we comparing the evolution of man to the cinema? I am also confused as to why Pem and Sarah are not really friends with Everett? What happened? They seemed to be getting along so well. Lastly, after finishing the book, I get the point E.L. Doctorow was trying to make, maybe. God is all seeing, all knowing and perhaps the expansion of the universe was his design as was the evolution of human thought and understanding of such and ever expanding and eventually shinking universe. Additionally, that all of that could have been so that I could write about it here? At any rate, to make his point, he seems to have taken the scenic route for no good reason.

looking forward to the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment