Friday, March 30, 2012

Tourist Season - through 256 Ryan

So in a few hours here, a few there, I've blown through about three quarters of the book.  This is my second go round with Hiaasen; I read 'Nature Girl" awhile back, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  This is no different.  The characters are crazied, the plot is outrageous, and I too have found myself giggling out loud.

Keyes is very cool customer.  You can't help but love him.  Wiley is clinically insane, and yet despite his murderous rampage, you kinda feel drawn to him too.  Truth be told, there is not one character that Hiaasen doesn't draw you to in some way - even a sap like Richard Lancelot Bloodworth has me pulling for him in a weird so of way - particularly once his fries his little member in the one and only bombing Jesus doesn't royally screw up (even if the intended target Garcia escapes unharmed).

But nobody beats Daniel "Viceroy" Wilson - what a contradiction!  Former pro football player, sexual gladiator, junkie, philosopher, petty thief, burgeoning terrorist and car enthusiast.  I assume he won't get his own spinoff, as Keyes will ultimately end up getting the best of him and his gang, but I can't wait to see how it plays out.  I'm pulling for a big finish from him.

I had to check back to see when this was originally penned - 1986 as it turns out - because Hiaasen is killing me with all these comical Cold War references about commies, right wing Cubans, and the like.  He makes the Florida of yesteryear sounds like quite a concoction...I can't imagine what the cocaine filled 80's were like down there.

I've got just over a 100 pages yet, and there are a lot of plot lines hanging out there - can't wait to see how weaves these together.  Kudos to Matt on the selection
     

No comments:

Post a Comment