Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The epic failure of 'City of God' - through the end Ryan

I've been caught up with some issues that required attention, and so my posting on this book with be short and to the point, particularly given that it was obviously NOT a fan favorite, as both my fellow travelers barely made it through the entire read.  Personally I was impressed with the Doctorow was trying to accomplish with this novel - although I will grant you that the varied tracts and voices made it challenging to say the least.

With simultaneous voices offering contemporaneous as well as historical perspectives, Doctorow spoke to the varied impact of life, death and religion on the trajectory of the characters of Pem - a confused minister, and Sarah , a female rabbi who he meets under peculiar circumstances.  Overall I found it to be ambitious and unique...that much would be tough to argue.  As far as its merit, I enjoyed the read - others did not.  Given my inattentiveness on this one, we'll leave it at that.  From what I gather, the guys are moving on to some much needed lighter fare, per Matt.  Moving on...

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment