Saturday, March 24, 2012

Tourist Season through page 95


I opened it last night, and what an absolute pleasure it has been.  The only difficult thing about this book is having to put it down to share my thoughts here.  It has been quite some time since I read Tourist Season, and the much of the plot has become a mystery again.  I believe I remember the ending, but the possibility that I have remembered it wrong is enough to keep me racing through the pages.
As is my usual with Hiaasen, I am often laughing out load.  If you plan to read in bed, next to snoozing significant other, keep that in mind.  It will be difficult to keep silent.
I have no recollection of Jenna and her role.  To this point, I think it fairly obvious that she set up Keyes, and is in cahoots with Wiley to some degree more than she is letting on, but I feel she also stops short of a full and knowing acomplice.
The interesting thing about Tourist Season is that the bad guys are good guys.  Our protagonist Keyes is a good guy, certainly a compassionate, honest, and of sound morals.  Stabbing the public defender with a shrimp fork is great, and Hiaasen’s way of divulging that information to us via newspaper report is masterful.
Keyes is beyond reproach, but Las Noches do Diciembre, especially Skip Wiley and Tommy Tigertail, are fighting the good fight as well.  Obviously, their methods go a little beyond the pail.  Feeding board of commerce directors, Shriners, Canadians, and retirees to a massive American crocodile is brutal, though you can see the beauty of Wiley’s logic.  It will be interesting to see if some of the bad guys with good causes come out alright.
I am going to get back to reading, and I look forward to hearing from you.  I wonder if my absolute adoration of Hiaasen and his works will be adopted by all the Guys Who Read, or whether you will find fault where I have found none.
Until Next Time,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment